How you can help support young carers
Whole family working is crucial in helping to identify young carers who are hidden and may be in need of support, so ask the question to identify if there is a young carer within the family context when undertaking an assessment for services. Consider including a question on assessment forms if there is not one already.
- explain to the family what a young carer is.
- identify young carer status on relevant records.
- inform the potential young carer and their families about the Young Carer Service which is available to help young carers in Devon.
Make it clear young carers can refer themselves to this service or with their consent that professionals and practitioners can make a referral to the service on their behalf. Enquires or referrals for the service can be made using the Devon Carers Helpline on 03456 434435 or via the website. A leaflet for the Young Carers Service is also available. Register a young carer who lives in the Devon County Council area with the Young Carers Service
General information about young carers
Young Carers Action Day is an annual event, organised and led by the Carers Trust. This day aims to raise awareness of the challenges faced by young carers and young adult carers, the pressures and challenges they face and to campaign for greater support for them.
Young Carers Action Day 2022 will be taking place on the 16 March. The theme for the day this year is taking action to reduce isolation. Find out more about Young Carers Action Day and the resources available. Other resources on the Carers Trust website include:
- Lottie’s story
- How to get support if you are a young carer or a young adult carer
- Information about young carers
We would like all our partners:
- To get involved with the day and take action for young carers.
- Be aware of young carers.
- To support with identifying young carers and supporting them to access the right support at the right time.
Information about young carers is also available to professionals on the South West Child Protection Procedures Manual.
Transition protocol for young carers
The Devon SCP would encourage all agencies across the partnership to work together in helping to identify young carers in Devon and to help to ensure young carers receive the support they need. It is important where providing support to young carers this is within the context of the Devon Early Help Infrastructure or as part of a statutory intervention.
Help us improve
Don’t include personal information.
"*" indicates required fields