Skip to content

Training and resources for professionals

Child sex offender scheme – information for professionals

The child sex offender disclosure scheme (Sarah’s Law) allows those who are worried about someone that has contact with a child they know to ask police if the person has a record for child sexual offences.

The aim of this scheme is to keep children safer.

More information about the scheme including downloadable leaflets is available on the Home Office website.

How to ask for a check

To make an application, you will need to visit your local police station in person. At the police station, you will need to:

  • show some ID, for example your passport or driving licence
  • tell the police what your relationship to the child is
  • say why you want to have this particular person checked

If you think a child is in immediate danger, always call the police on 999.

If you are concerned that a child is being abused, or to request support, you can:

Call 0345 155 1071

Complete the request for support online form

If it’s an emergency call 999