A comforting pudding using simple ingredients. You can use any fruit to make a compote, and why not try picking your own blackberries! For this recipe only make what you need. If you make too much, cool as quickly as possible, refrigerate and eat within 24 hours.
These recipes are designed for you to cook together as a family. The best bits for children to help with are shown in blue, and little hands can always help with measuring ingredients and washing up!
Approximate cost per adult serving: 52p
Time: 35 minutes
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 200g frozen blackberries
- 500ml or 2.5 cups of milk
- 150g long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Prepare the fruit by peeling and coring the pear and cutting into chunks.
- the pear, blackberries, sugar, and spices to a pan and place on the hob on medium heat. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the pear has become soft and starts to break down and the blackberries are squishy. Remove compote from the heat and set aside.
- Weigh the rice and measure the milk and add both to a saucepan with the vanilla extract. Bring to a simmer on the hob, stirring occasionally until the milk has been absorbed and rice is soft but still with a bit of bite. This will take about 30mins.
- Remove from the heat, spoon into bowls and swirl through a spoonful of compote.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
Help us improve
Don’t include personal information.
"*" indicates required fields